Here are some of our favorite ideas for incorporating sensory play into your day with your autistic child:
- Play dough, moon dough (our FAVE), modelling clay
- Sensory tubs (check out the wide selection you can create yourself at No Time For Flashcards.
- Painting with shaving cream, whipped cream or pudding
- Try playing the "What's That? Game".
- Have a Backyard Car Wash.
- Scratch and sniff stickers, scented books
- Scented play dough
- Go for a "smelling walk" - smell for flowers, herbs, fresh cut grass, the dampness after a fresh rain, etc.
- Cook together- smell the spices and herbs, smell the cookies baking, smell the coffee brewing, which smells do they take delight in?? Which smells make them turn up their nose??
- Make music together. Get out the musical instruments and start your own band.
- Go on a Sound Safari.
- Create sensory bottles. Child Care Lounge has tons of inspirational ideas to create your own.
- Play with fiber optic wands.
- Experiment with binoculars, magnifying glasses, mirrors and kaleidoscopes.