Chocolate Root Beer Bundt Cake with Chocolate Root Beer Butter Cream Frosting
(adapted from Baked: New Frontiers In Baking by Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito)
For the Cake
- 2 cups root beer (we used A&W)
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces dark chocolate, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup root beer
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
For the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Generously spray inside of bundt cake pan with cooking spray.
2. In a small saucepan heat the root beer, cocoa powder and butter over medium heat until the butter is melted. Add the sugars and stir until dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
3. In a large bowl mix the flour and baking soda.
4. In a small bowl whisk the eggs until just beaten, then whisk into cooled root beer mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the root beer mixture. Do not overbeat. Mixture will be slightly lumpy.
5. Pour into prepared bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes (or until knife inserted comes out clean). Allow cake to cool completely before removing from pan.
For the Frosting -
1. Mix all ingredients together until smooth and creamy. Apply over the top of the bundt cake in a thick layer.